To install a new virtual machine on a Mac with Apple M chip, you need to use an ARM-based installation image with a supported operating system.
- For installing a Linux virtual machine, see KB 128445.
- For installing a macOS virtual machine, see KB 125561.
Install Windows 11 on ARM
Note: Please note that Microsoft no longer provides support for Windows 10 ARM. And as a result, Windows 10 is no longer supported in Parallels Desktop on Mac computers with Apple M Chip ( https://kb.parallels.com/en/124223 ). However, Windows 11 should be fully compatible with all applications that Windows 10 is compatible with. Therefore, if an application does not run in Windows 11 ARM, it is either likely due to some misconfiguration, or the issue could be due to an application not being compatible with ARM architecture. For more information on Windows ARM compatibility issues, check out KB 128796.
To install Windows 11 ARM, run Parallels Desktop, then click on the Parallels icon in the Mac menu bar > Control Center > + > Get Windows 11 from Microsoft > Continue > Install Windows.
Windows will be downloaded and installed automatically. Once the installation process is over, you'll get the Installation Complete prompt.
Upon clicking it, you'll be presented with the Microsoft EULA. Click I accept to complete the process.
Activate Windows 11
To activate Windows 11, simply use either an existing Windows 10 license, or purchase a new Windows 10/11 license from the Microsoft Store.
Purchase a new license
- Open Windows Settings > System > Activation.
- Click “Get a new license in the Microsoft Store app".
- Click "Buy" and proceed with the purchase process. Windows will be automatically activated after a successful purchase.
Activate with an existing license
1. Open Windows Settings > System > Activation.
2. Click “Troubleshoot”.
3. Click “I changed hardware on this device recently” on the appeared dialog:
4. Sign in to your Microsoft account. Press Enter when prompted for the existing Windows password.
5. Check the option “This is the device I’m using right now” and click “Activate”.
6. Windows is activated now.