After successful installation of Windows into Parallels Virtual Machine, Windows prompts for activation or displays that it is not genuine.
If you see notifications that the copy of Windows that is installed on your Virtual Machine might not be genuine or that you might be a victim of counterfeit software, it's likely that your copy of Windows was not properly activated or not genuine.
You'll receive periodic reminders that Windows is not genuine until you activate Windows. In addition, to more clearly display these messages, your desktop might turn black. You can reset it, but every 60 minutes, it will return to black until the issue is resolved. Regardless of genuine status, Windows will be able to get critical security updates. However, access to optional updates or benefits available exclusively to genuine Windows customers, such as Microsoft Security Essentials, might be restricted.
Activate Windows 11
To activate Windows 11, simply use either an existing Windows 10 license, or purchase a new Windows 10/11 license from the Microsoft Store.
Purchase a new license
- Open Windows Settings > System > Activation.
- Click “Get a new license in the Microsoft Store app".
- Click "Buy" and proceed with the purchase process. Windows will be automatically activated after a successful purchase.
Activate with an existing license
1. Open Windows Settings > System > Activation.
2. Click “Troubleshoot”.
3. Click “I changed hardware on this device recently” on the appeared dialog:
4. Sign in to your Microsoft account. Press Enter when prompted for the existing Windows password.
5. Check the option “This is the device I’m using right now” and click “Activate”.
6. Windows is activated now.
If you have any difficulties with Windows activation, please visit Microsoft FAQ.