When trying to switch to Coherence view mode I get the following error message:
An error occurred while switching to Coherence. Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact the Parallels support team for assistance.
This may happen due to the following reasons:
- Antiviral software or Firewall inside your virtual machine are blocking access to Coherence tool for Parallels Desktop processes.
- Virus or malware inside your virtual machine are blocking access to Coherence tool for Parallels Desktop processes.
- Internal error in Coherence tool service.
Do the following inside your virtual machine:
Antiviral software or Firewall:
1. Disable antivirus protection and Firewall.
- If the problem disappeared, try to add the following processes to the list of exceptions in your antivirus program:
coherence.exe (full path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Services\coherence.exe)
prl_hook.dll (full path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Services\prl_hook.dll )
- If you managed to do it, you may enable the protection back.
- If the problem is still there, check if you have ViPNet Client program installed in your virtual machine. Uninstall that program if you found it. ViPNet Client is a protective software which blocks Parallels Desktop services and provides no options to add certain services to exceptions.
Virus or malware:
Make sure you have no viruses. If you are not sure, check Windows using this utility by Dr.Web: Dr.Web CureIt!
- In case a virus has been found, remove Parallels Tools from Control Panel > Add and remove Programs, remove virus and install Parallels Tools back.
Internal error in Coherence tool service:
If the issue is still present, make sure that Parallels Coherence Service is running inside your virtual machine:
- Press CMD + R > type services.msc > Hit Return/Enter.
- Find Parallels Coherence Service in the Services tab and make sure it is in running state.
- If it is already running, try restarting it.
- If it does not help, Shut down you virtual machine from Actions > Shut Down. Leave it in stopped state for a while and Start.