When I start Parallels Desktop or a virtual machine, I get this error message:
Your virtual machine may run slow because virtualization support is disabled on your Mac
Then another error message may come up:
Unable to load the Parallels Driver
- Parallels Desktop is not updated to the latest build.
- Your version of Parallels Desktop is not compatible with the version of OS X running on your Mac.
- There is an OS X permissions issue.
- OS X is misconfigured.
- Mac is running in Safe mode.
Restart your Mac.
Make sure the version of Parallels Desktop installed on your Mac is compatible with the version of OS X you are running. If it is not compatible, upgrade to the latest version of Parallels Desktop.
Update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. In Mac menu click on Parallels Desktop > Check for Updates... Then download and install the update if one is available.
If the issue persists, open the Disk Utility application on Mac > Mac HD > Repair Disk Permissions.
NOTE: Repair Disk Permissions feature is available only on macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) or earlier versions.
If the problem persists, proceed to the next step.
Uninstall Parallels Desktop using the applicable instructions for your version:
- Parallels Desktop 12: KB 123880
- Parallels Desktop 11: KB 123349
- Parallels Desktop 10: KB 122653
- Parallels Desktop 9: KB 116992
- Parallels Desktop 8: KB 114624
- Parallels Desktop 7: KB 112189
- Parallels Desktop 6: KB 9087
- Parallels Desktop 5: KB 6904
Once Parallels Desktop is uninstalled, reboot your Mac and install Parallels Desktop again.
Make sure VT-x virtualization technology is enabled on your Mac: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2744
If your Mac is running in a Safe Mode, do the following:
- Open Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal application.
Paste the following command into Terminal and press Return/Enter:
sudo nvram boot-args=""
Enter your Mac user account password when prompted, then press Return/Enter.
NOTE: You will not see password characters as you type. It is normal Terminal behavior. Just type the password in and press Return/Enter.
- Restart your Mac, and start your virtual machine.
For additional information please refer to support.apple.com/kb/HT1455