When I start Parallels Desktop or a virtual machine, I get this error message:
Your virtual machine may run slow because virtualization support is disabled on your Mac
Then another error message may come up:
Unable to load the Parallels Driver
- Parallels Desktop is not updated to the latest build.
- Your version of Parallels Desktop is not compatible with the version of OS X running on your Mac.
- There is an OS X permissions issue.
- OS X is misconfigured.
- Mac is running in Safe mode.
Restart your Mac.
Make sure the version of Parallels Desktop installed on your Mac is compatible with the version of OS X you are running. If it is not compatible, upgrade to the latest version of Parallels Desktop.
Update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. In Mac menu click on Parallels Desktop > Check for Updates... Then download and install the update if one is available.
If the issue persists, open the Disk Utility application on Mac > Mac HD > Repair Disk Permissions. If the problem persists, proceed to the next step.
Uninstall Parallels Desktop using the applicable instructions for your version:
- Parallels Desktop 11: KB 123349
- Parallels Desktop 10: KB 122653
- Parallels Desktop 9: KB 116992
- Parallels Desktop 8: KB 114624
- Parallels Desktop 7: KB 112189
- Parallels Desktop 6: KB 9087
- Parallels Desktop 5: KB 6904
Once Parallels Desktop is uninstalled, reboot your Mac and install Parallels Desktop again.
Make sure VT-x virtualization technology is enabled on your Mac: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2744
If your Mac is running in a Safe Mode, do the following:
- Open Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal application.
Paste the following command into Terminal and press Return/Enter:
sudo nvram boot-args=""
Enter your Mac user account password when prompted, then press Return/Enter.
Note: You will not see password characters as you type. It is normal Terminal behavior. Just type the password in and press Return/Enter.
- Restart your Mac, and start your virtual machine.
For additional information please refer to support.apple.com/kb/HT1455