When you start Parallels Desktop or a Virtual Machine, you get this error message:
Your virtual machine may run slow because virtualization support is disabled on your Mac
Another error message may come up after the first one:
Unable to load the Parallels Driver
- Parallels Desktop is not updated to the latest build
- Your version of Parallels Desktop is not compatible with the version of OS X your Mac runs.
- Mac OS X permissions issue
- Misconfigured Mac OS X
- You Mac is running in the Safe mode
- Restart your Mac
- Make sure the version of Parallels Desktop installed on your Mac is compatible with the version of Mac OS X your Mac runs. If it is not compatible please upgrade Parallels Desktop to the latest version.
- Update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Click on Parallels Desktop menu > Check for Updates... Download and install the update if found.
- If the issue still persists, open Disk Utility application on Mac > choose Mac HD there > click Repair Disk Permissions. If it does not help go to next step.
- Make sure VT-x virtualization technology is enabled on your Mac: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2744
If your Mac is running in a Safe Mode, do the following:
- Open Terminal application on Mac located in /Applications/Utilities.
- Paste the command into Terminal as is and hit Return
(please enter your Mac administrator account password when prompted, then press Return.
NOTE: when typing the user's password after the "Password:" prompt appears, you will not see anything appear in the Terminal window. Just type in the password and press Return. If the password is entered incorrectly, you will see the message "Sorry, try again" and be given another chance to enter the password correctly):
sudo nvram boot-args=""
(for additional information please refer the Apple article)
- Restart your Mac, and try to start your virtual machine.
Uninstall Parallels Desktop using one of these articles (depending on the version of Parallels Desktop you use):
Once Parallels Desktop is uninstalled reboot the Mac and then install Parallels Desktop again.