MSIX app attach is a Microsoft application layering solution that allows you to dynamically attach applications (containerized MSIX packages) to a user session.
• Parallels Remote Application Server v19 with Windows Server 2022 as a RD session host or Windows 10/11 VDI machine.
• Network share where the MSIX images will be stored. Storage requirements and recommendations are highlighted here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtualdesktop/app-attach-file-share
• All computer accounts must have read permissions on the network share where the MSIX images are stored.
• MSIX image located on a network share.
To enable the Application Packages feature
- Navigate to Farm > Settings and select the Application packages tab.
- Select the Enable Application Packages feature option.
Note: You can mark specific versions of packages with tags to simplify the package update procedure. There are three pre-defined tags: Production, Pre-production, and Custom. Tags cannot be added or deleted, but you can rename them.
To assign a tag to a package, navigate to Farm > Application packages > right-click your application package > Properties > General > Version tag. You can also enable the automatic installation of certificates on RD Sessions hosts at Farm > Settings > Application packages > Provision package certificates automatically.
To add an MSIX application package to Parallels RAS
- Navigate to Farm > Application packages.
- Click Tasks > Add (or click the [+] icon) to open MSIX Image wizard.
- In the MSIX Image path field, click the ... (Browse) button to select a file from a network share. A UNC path to the file is required, for example, \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME\DIRECTORY\FILENAME. You can install packages from VHD, VHDX, and CIM images.
- In the Package drop-down list select the package that you want to add.
- In the Display Name field specify the name that will be used for this package in Parallels RAS. After that, the rest of the fields will be populated automatically.
- Click Finish.
To add a package to an RD Session Host:
- Navigate to Farm > RD Sessions Host/ Farm > VDI - Pools/Desktops
- Double-click an Session Host/Pool/Desktop - this will open the Properties dialog.
- On the Application Packages tab, click Tasks > Add (or click the [+] icon). If these icons are grayed out, clear the Inherit default setting option
- In the first column to the left, select the package you want to install on the RD Session Host.
- In the Version column, select the version of the packages. It is recommended to use the latest versions of the packages. If the selected packages have dependencies, you will see a warning that lists all of them.
- Click OK to finish the configuration.
Known Issues and Limitations
• MSIX app attach is supported only on RD Session Hosts running on Windows Server 2022 and VDI machines running Windows 10/11.
• CIM package images discovery requires RAS Connection Broker installed on Windows Server 2022.
• To successfully add a package from a CIM package image, the network share must be located on a server other than the Primary Connection Broker or RD Session Host.
• MSIX app attach doesn't support auto-update for MSIX applications.
• In the current release, Parallels RAS Console does not manage MSIX app attach on Remote PCs, and AVD deployments.