This message is seen in the console of the Awingu appliance (virtual machine) - this may require the appliance to be rebooted first:
[08S01] [unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is unavailable or does not exist (20009) (SQLDriverConnect)
- There are known issues with the July 2022 updates of Microsoft Hyper-V, causing this error.
- Network connectivity between Awingu appliance and Microsoft SQL Server.
When the Awingu appliance is running on Microsoft Hyper-V and July 2022 updates have been installed:
There's a known issue when Microsoft Hyper-V is patched with the July 2022 updates in combination with using a Named Instance, which results in UDP traffic not reaching the Microsoft SQL Server. Related Microsoft KBs include - but may not be limited to - KB5015807, KB5015808.
There are two options:
- Move the Awingu appliance to a Hyper-V where these updates are not present. (Not yet patched or after rolling back the Windows updates).
- Contact support. This will require a remote SSH intervention for which the support team will need to be able to connect directly from the headquarters' public IP address to the SSH port of the Awingu appliance.
Verify connectivity based on the Microsoft SQL Settings of the Awingu appliance.
- Named instance (instance name specified, but no port): Awingu must be able to connect to UDP port 1434 of the Microsoft SQL Server.
- TCP port is configured (typically 1433): Awingu must be able to connect to this TCP port of the Microsoft SQL Server.
Checking the Microsoft SQL Settings when the appliance is down
Important: it's not possible to simply adjust the settings in the database table.
On the Microsoft SQL Server, run this SQL query to confirm the database settings:
# Adjust 'AWINGU' to the database name that is being used for Awingu.
SELECT * FROM [AWINGU].[dbo].[configuration_configuration]
Was this article helpful?
Tell us how we can improve it.