Before you can configure HALB from the Parallels Remote Application Server console, you need to import an appliance with one of the following Hypervisor platforms: VMware, Hyper-V, or Virtual Box. An appliance is a pre-configured virtual machine (including an operating system and other relevant settings).
Further information regarding hypervisor pre-requisites can be found here.
Stage 1: HALB Appliance Installation and Configuration
The HALB appliance should be imported on a hypervisor running on a machine within the same local network as Remote Application Server. Import the HALB appliance on a supported hypervisor according to the procedure below:
- Download the required HALB package (i.e. either the OVA, VMDK or VHD file) from the website.
- Unzip the VMDK or VHD file, if required.
- Import either the VMDK, OVA, or VHD file from t2he virtualization platform’s management console.
Power up (boot) the new appliance.
Adjust the network settings if necessary and click Apply to continue.
- The Configuration Console is displayed and the HALB appliance is ready to be added to a Remote Application Server farm.
Note: To change the HALB device login credentials, follow the procedure illustrated here based on best practices.
Stage 2: Adding an HALB Appliance from Remote Application Server
After the HALB appliance installation, the appliance has to be configured from a Remote Application Server farm.
Configure the HALB appliance according to the procedure below:
- Log in to the Console.
- Go to Farm > HALB.
- Enable the HALB check box.
- Enter the Virtual IP (shared IP) in the first field. This is the IP that the clients will connect to. This will also be the floating IP used by the HALB appliances.
- Enter the appropriate network mask.
- For load balancing normal gateway connections, enable the LB Gateway Payload check box and click Configure.
- From the HALB Configuration window, select the gateways that Remote Application Server will load balance using the HALB appliances and click OK.
- Next, for load balancing SSL connections, enable the LB SSL Payload check box and click Configure.
- The mode selected in the Mode drop-down specifies where the SSL decryption process is performed. By default, the SSL connections are tunnelled directly to the gateways (referred to as passthroughs) where the SSL decryption process is performed.
- To set the SSL decryption process to be performed on the HALB appliance, select the SSL Offloading Mode and click Configure. This mode requires an SSL certificate installed on configured HALB appliances.
From the window illustrated above, upload an SSL certificate to the HALB appliance for SSL offloading. This can be either a self-signed certificate or a certificate obtained from a registered certificate authority.
- (Optional) Tick the option Allow only strong ciphers to only allow the usage of certificates using strong encryption algorithms.
- Select the Accepted SSL Version from the options available in the drop-down.
- Click on Generate new certificate and enter the required details.
Alternatively, set up a certificate from a trusted authority according to the instructions below:
- Click on Generate certificate request.
- Fill in the details and click Save to bring up the certificate request window.
- Click Copy to copy the request. This certificate request should be sent to a certificate authority.
- Once you receive the SSL certificate from the certificate authority, click on the Import public key, browse for the certificate file containing the public key, and click Open.
- Click OK to save the settings.
Upon completion, proceed to add all the HALB appliances that will be managed by this farm. Click the green plus icon shown above to bring up the Add HALB Devices window.
Remote Application Server is capable of detecting HALB appliances over the network and displaying them, as a list. Selecting detected HALB appliances from this list is the preferred method for adding new appliances. If for some reason, the appliance cannot be detected, you can also add the appliance manually by specifying the appliance IP in the IP Address field. Click OK to apply the configuration.
After the OK button is pressed, the appliance is initialized and added to the list.
- Finally, click Apply for the configuration to be applied to all added HALB appliances.