Is it possible to push OS X Yosemite as an update to several machines?
Detailed instruction on how to distribute software to Mac OS X computers can be found in the Software distribution section of the Parallels Mac Management for Microsoft SCCM 2012 administrator’s guides.
In order to update several Mac with outdated OS X (Mavericks or lower) please do the following:
- Download Install OS X Yosemite.app file from AppStore.
Prepare downloaded OS X Yosemite installer to software distribution via SCCM:
Put Install OS X Yosemite.app file to any folder, for example:
C:\packages\OS X 10.10\
- Ensure that there is (are) enrolled Mac(s) in All Mac OS X Systems collection in SCCM 2012 > Assets and Compliance > Overview > Devices
Create OS X Yosemite package:
- Right click on Packages in Software Library -> Overview -> Application Management and click Create Package in opened context menu
- Fill in Name (e.g. "OS X Yosemite"), Version (e.g. "10.10"), Manufacturer (e.g. "Apple")
- Check 'This package contains source files' checkbox and click Browse...
Choose Local folder on site server and browse the folder with Yosemite package
C:\packages\OS X 10.10
- Click Next in Package page of the wizard.
- Choose Standard program and click Next in Program Type.
Type Name, Command line and click Next in Standard Program page. Use the following command line:
chmod -R 777 'Install OS X Yosemite.app' && ./'Install OS X Yosemite.app/Contents/MacOS/InstallAssistant'
- Run mode > select 'Run with adminisrtative rights'.
- Make sure that the parameter Allow users to view and interact with program installation is checked.
- Leave other field values in the wizard as is.
Configure properties of the package to copy it's content to distribution point:
- Right click on the Yosemite package in Software Library > Overview > Application Management > Packages and click Properties in opened context menu.
- Check Copy the content in this package to a package share on distribution points checkbox in Data Access tab of the Yosemite Properties dialog.
- Apply changes and close the dialog.
Deploy the Yosemite package:
- Click on Yosemite package in Software Library > Overview > Application Management > Packages. and click Deploy.
- Choose All Mac OS X Systems collection in General page of the wizard
- Add distribution point on Content page of the wizard
- Add assignment schedule (e.g. Assign immediately after this event: As soon as possible)
- Leave other parameters as is.
Wait till the status of Package will be changed to "Success" (green circle)
Go to Assets and Compliance > Overview > Device Collections > All Mac OS X Systems collection > Click on Parallels Management Tools > Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle.
After several minutes all Macs will download package and user will see the OS X Yosemite Wizard. The next step is to proceed with the wizard directly on Mac machine.