SymptomsI have upgraded Paralles Desktop from version 3 to version 4. When virtual machine starts the boot process and gets to loading the user settings, a BSOD appears with a intelppm.sys error.
ResolutionTo solve the issue, please follow the steps given below:
1. Attach Windows Installation CD to Virtual Machine (Parallels Desktop top menu -> Devices -> CD/DVD Rom).
2. Change boot sequence for Virtual Machine to boot from CD (Parallels Desktop top menu -> virtual Machine -> Configure -> Boot Order)
3. Start Virtual Machine.
4. Immediately after VM is started, press Control+Option+Command+R key combination and agree to proceed to manual mode.
5. After you get your console unlocked, capture input and press any key so that VM boots from CD.
6. Once you see a first prompt from Windows, type "R" to enter recovery console.
7. In Recovery Console wait for a prompt to choose your installation, type '1' followed by Return and enter administrator password
8. Run the following command:
You will see service current status SERVICE_DISABLED
9. Exit Recovery Console typing 'exit'.
10. Restart Virtual Machine. Windows should be booted properly.