To be able to run Solaris 10 in Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac, you need to perform the following:
1. Enable APIC in the virtual machine configuration, install Solaris 10, and disable APIC.
Enabling APIC and Installing Solaris 10
Before installing Solaris 10 in your virtual machine, you need to enable APIC in the virtual machine configuration. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open the configuration of your virtual machine by choosing Configure from the Virtual Machine menu.
2. Click the Hardware tab and select Boot Order.
3. Type the following flag into the Boot Flags field:
4. Click OK to save your settings and proceed to Solaris 10 installation.
When Solaris 10 is installed, APIC should be disabled by changing the boot flag as follows:
Installing Network Driver
To install a network driver in your 64-bit Solaris 10 virtual machine, do the following:
1. Choose Devices > CD/DVD > Connect Image... and connect the following image file:
2. Copy the contents of the Drivers/Network/RTL8029/SOLARIS folder to a folder in Solaris 10 virtual machine (for example, /tmp folder).
3. Find the network.sh file in this folder and edit it by adding these lines just before the "echo "Compiling driver ..." line:
ln -s $tmpdir/$driver/Makefile.amd64_gcc $tmpdir/$driver/Makefile
4. Save the network.sh file and run it as the root user. This will install the required 64-bit network driver in your Solaris virtual machine.