When trying to mount the virtual disk of a Windows virtual machine with Parallels Mounter, the following notification appears.
"The virtual machine that uses this disk was shut down in Hybrid mode. Modifying the disk could result in data loss.
You can view the disk in read-only mode, or modify the disk anyway."
Virtual machine is paused/suspended or Windows misconfiguration
First of all, ensure that the virtual machine to which the virtual disk belongs to is shut down:
- Open Parallels Desktop Control Center: right-click on the Parallels Desktop icon in the Dock > Control Center.
- Ensure that the virtual machine doesn't have pause (II) or half moon icons which represents Paused and Suspended states.
In these states virtual hard disk cannot be mounted as data saved in these states may be affected and lost as a result.
When, check and change Windows configuration in regards to power buttons actions if needed:
- Launch Parallels Desktop and the virtual machine which requires re-configuration.
- Once Windows completely loads, right-click on the Start menu and select Power Options.
- Click on the Additional power settings option to open Power options menu.
- On the left pane of the appeared window click on Choose what the power buttons do.
- Change option When I press the power button: for On battery and Plugged in respectively to Shut down.
- Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable and then disable Turn on fast startup (recommended) option to avoid the hybrid shutdown.
- Press the Save changes button and shut down Windows.