When you upgrade your Remote Application Server installation to the next version, please follow the below procedure, based on best practices:
Stage 1: upgrade preparation
Read the documentation below to review all changes and added features for the latest versions of Remote Application Server software.
- Remote Application Server Changelog: https://www.2x.com/downloads/ras/2XRAS-ChangeLog.txt
- Remote Application Server Portal Changelog: https://www.2x.com/downloads/ras/2XRASPortal-ChangeLog.txt
Ensure that your license has valid upgrade insurance. Upgrade insurance is not automatically included with a support contract.
Take snapshots of environments configured on virtual servers, primarily on the Remote Application Server Console/License server.
Copy and save the license key activated on the current installation from the Remote Application Server Console > Licensing.
Collect additional information about current Remote Application Server installation from the Remote Application Server Console > Help > About (Example: 11.0.1933)
Export the configuration file and save it to another location.
- For version 10.6 and lower, log on to the Remote Application Server Console > File > Export
- For version 11.0 and higher this option is located under Administration > Backup
If the Remote Application Server console/License server also runs other 2X products, such as the 2X Webportal/Remote Application Server Portal, backup and collect the information below:
- Back up the following directory and all sub directories: C:\Program Files (x86) \2X
- Collect information about Webportal/Remote Application Server Portal: Remote Application Server Admin Portal > General Settings > About
- Version 14 and above do not support 2X OS. If you are using client manager to manage 2X OS you cannot upgrade to version 14 and continue to use 2X OS. More informatyion is available here: Life Cycle Announcement
When upgrading to version 14 or higher, consider the points below:
- Version 14 introduces HALB (High Availability Load Balancing) and the Remote Application Server reporting engine.
- The installation files for these features are available here: https://www.parallels.com/products/ras/download/links/
- Installation procedures for these new features are available here: https://www.parallels.com/products/ras/resources/
Stage 2: upgrade requirements
Internet access is required on the Remote Application Server Console/License server to install the software and activate the license. If the Remote Application Server Console/License server does not have internet access, contact Support.
For all upgrades, it is highly recommended to schedule a time when your users arenât active on your system.
Older versions of the Webportal/Remote Application Server Portal are not all compatible with newer versions of Remote Application Server. If the 2X Webportal/Remote Application Server Portal is installed on your server, download the latest version from https://www.parallels.com/products/ras/download/links/.
- It is recommended to disable all Firewalls and Antivirus software also including Windows Defender (Antivirus software must be stopped from Windows Services).
Stage 3: upgrade procedure
Proceed to upgrade the installation from the Remote Application Server Console/License server.
- On version 10.6 and lower this option is located in the Console > Information > Software Update tab > Check Now > Update
- On version 11.0 and higher the option is located in the Console > Administration > Software Update tab > Check Now > Update
This upgrade will also update the license model for all sites to a concurrent-user-based licensing model.
If prompted during the upgrade, select to update all Parallels agents configured to the farm/site.
Log on to the Console and ensure that all agents are verified. If the server was running version 10.6 or lower, you will notice that when you run the Console icon it requires you to log on with a username and password. Please refer back to the Remote Application Server documentation.
NOTE: Shoud you have multi-site Farm, in order to upgrade secondary sites, do the following:
Once Master Site upgraded and you log into the console still on Master site, upgrade the secondary sites:
- From the left pane in the Console, select Farm
- In the list select Farm right click on secondary site > Check Agent > Update.
- Once secondary site updated switch to that site and update backup Publishing Agent and rest components.
Next, download and install the Remote Application Server Portal software from General settings > Software > Check Now. This is only required if you were using the 2X Webportal/Remote Application Server Portal.
- Version 14: download the latest version of HALB Appliance and 2X RAS Reporting service. This is only required for installations that were previously running version 14 and higher with the HALB Appliance and Remote Application Server Reporting engine.
Stage 4: Final checks
Upon Completion, log on to the console and activate your license from the Remote Application Server Console > Licensing. Also ensure that the Concurrent UBL information is the correct user license count you have purchased. If not, please contact Sales team.
Congratulations, you are now ready to test the environment and ensure that all systems are functioning normally.
Remote Application Server version 11 and higher work with a concurrent-user-based licensing model. Read more here.
If you require support during or after your upgrade, please contact our Sales team.
It is highly recommended to schedule the upgrade with the Support department and your users. Make sure that you have a valid support agreement if you choose to schedule the upgrade.
For upgrades which require that the Remote Application Server software (2xappserver.msi) is downloaded manually, retrieve the file from this URL: https://www.parallels.com/products/ras/download/links/.