The following information outlines how to configure the Parallels RDP Client to provide the best experience possible. This article also includes information collected from multiple Microsoft resources on how to confirm that the users' sessions are using Remote FX.
Client-side settings required for RemoteFX connectivity
The following settings ensure that the RDP Client provides the best possible experience to users:
- Experience > Connection Speed should be set to LAN.
- On Parallels RDP clients, Graphics Acceleration should be set to RemoteFX (if available).
- Color depth should be set to 32 bit (may not be available on Parallels RDP clients if graphics acceleration is set to RemoteFX).
- The session must not be a console session.
How to determine that RemoteFX is being used
For Session-Based RDS deployments:
- Open Event Viewer (Local) on the RDP server.
- Ensure View > Show Analytic and Debug Logs is checked.
Open the following log:
Application and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\RemoteDesktopServices-RemoteDesktopSession Manager
- If the computer is connected to the server using RemoteFX for Remote Desktop Session Host, Event ID 1000 will be shown.
- If the RemoteFX hardware compression was used, Event ID 1001 will be shown.
For VM-Based RDS deployments:
- Open Event Viewer (Local) on the RDP server
- Ensure View > Show Analytic and Debug Logs is checked
Open the following log:
Application and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS\Admin
A log with Event ID 2 and the following text should be shown:
Remote Desktop Protocol will use RemoteFX module to connect to the client computer. RemoteFX module is being used based on the server configuration, client configuration, and network connection.
High quality RemoteFX
Using this option will increase the session quality, but may also lower performance (especially if used on non-GPU accelerated deployments). To use high quality RemoteFX, configure the group policy settings as follows (using gpedit.msc with administrator credentials).
Node: Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Remote Session Environment
Set Optimize visual experience when using RemoteFX to Enabled. Screen capture rate (frames per second) should be set to Highest (best quality). Screen Image quality should be set to Highest (best quality).
Note: You may need to restart the RemoteFX server.