OverviewParallels Desktop 7 for Mac is a major upgrade to Parallels' award-winning software for running Windows on a Mac.
This version of Parallels Desktop for Mac (build 7.0.14920) includes the following new features and enhancements:
OS X Lion Compatibility
- Support for Full-Screen Apps introduced in OS X Lion.
- Launchpad integration: add Windows programs of your choice to Launchpad and use the Windows folder to access other Windows programs from Launchpad.
- OS X Lion-style animations when opening new Windows programs windows in Coherence.
- Support for Resume introduced in OS X Lion.
- Support for running OS X Lion in a virtual machine.
- Ability to create OS X Lion virtual machines using the recovery partition on Macs running OS X Lion.
- All-new Parallels Wizard that enables you to create and import virtual machines to run Windows or another operating system, migrate your data from a remote PC, use Boot Camp, or download free ready-to-use virtual machines with Ubuntu, Fedora or Chrome OS.
- Windows can now be purchased and downloaded right from the Parallels Wizard (in the US and Canada only).
- Parallels Convenience Store provides an easy way to buy useful applications both for Mac and Windows.
- New, more intuitive design to enhance user experience.
- Coherence tutorial after Windows installation to help new users understand how to work in Parallels Desktop.
- Parallels Desktop installation now contains all available languages - Parallels Desktop user interface language is automatically set to match the Mac OS language.
- Automatic installation of Parallels Desktop software updates so you'll always be up-to-date with important fixes and feature improvements.
- Simpler, streamlined process for installing guest operating systems.
- Clearer process for updating Parallels Tools for Windows.
- Option to show or hide the virtual machine window status bar.
- Improved integration with Spaces: move Windows programs between spaces in Coherence.
- Use a passcode to transfer Windows from a remote PC to your Mac more easily. You no longer need to know the PC IP address or name.
- Mac-style Virtual Machine Configuration dialog: all changes are applied on the fly.
- 3D games now automatically switch to Full Screen when started in Coherence.
- Ctrl-Alt-End combination has been added to the Devices > Keyboard menu.
- Clone to Template and Convert to Template interfaces redesigned for simplicity.
- Smart Mouse mode can now be changed while Windows is running.
- Sound support: now you can play back music and audio files remotely from your Windows virtual machine.
- Parallels Mobile now allows to copy and paste text between the mobile device and Windows.
- Control your Mac and Mac applications just like you control Windows and your virtual machine.
- Better video performance.
- Ability to set Parallels Mobile to connect to your Mac and Windows only when Wi-Fi connection is available.
- Improved support for external displays and keyboards.
- iSight, FaceTime HD camera, and external webcams can now be shared between Mac OS X and Windows.
- Improved virtual printing: Mac OS X printers automatically become available in Windows and if you change the Mac OS X default printer, virtual machines configured to use that printer automatically use the new one.
- Shared Profile improvement: Windows Recycle Bin can now be mapped to Trash in Mac OS X.
- Automatic adjustment of Windows keyboard layout making it work the same way as in Mac OS X.
- Shared folders contents are refreshed immediately after a change is made from either side.
- Unresponsive Windows programs now support Force Quit sent from Mac OS.
- Coherence mode is now available for Linux virtual machines as well.
- Two-way time synchronization: When enabled, changes to the time settings in either Mac OS X or the guest OS are automatically synchronized to the other.
- Windows disks and folders shared with Mac OS X are mounted to /Volumes.
- Full 64-bit application for enhanced performance.
- Improved overall performance.
- Improved 3D performance.
- Improved disk I/O performance.
- Improved shared folders performance.
- Improved printing performance.
- Faster conversion of third-party virtual machines.
- Improved gaming experience: more modern games are supported.
- Jumbo frames support for improving networks throughput.
- Hardware virtualization improvements, including AVX (Advanced Vector Extensions) instructions support.
- Much longer battery life with a power saving option that can be activated on new MacBook Pros equipped with two video cards.
- Assign up to 1 GB of video memory to a single virtual machine.
- WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) 1.1 support.
- Enjoy 7.1 Surround Sound in Windows virtual machines.
- Improved sound capabilities in Windows with sample rate up to 192 KHz and bit depth up to 24 bit for playback devices and up to 192 KHz and 16 bit for recording devices.
- More accurate mouse pointer movements when Windows is busy.
- Horizontal scrolling support for Linux virtual machines.
- Choose to show virtual network interface cards in Mac OS X System Preferences.
- Complimentary 90-day subscription to Acronis Online Backup.
- Complimentary 90-day subscription to Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 for Windows and Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac (for new Parallels Desktop users only).
- Create virtual machines booting from Live CDs.
- Import virtual machines created in Virtual Box 4.
- In the Window view mode, a visual indicator shows when your shared folders are busy.
- Connect an additional mouse (or any other pointing device) directly to your virtual machine via USB.
- A Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor.
- At least 2 GB of RAM (4 GB recommended to run Windows 7) NOTE: Your Mac must have enough memory to use Mac OS X and its applications plus the memory required for each additional operating system (and its programs) that you want to use simultaneously.
- At least 700 MB of space available on the boot volume for Parallels Desktop installation.
- 15 GB of available disk space for Windows.
- Mac OS X Lion 10.7 or later, Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or later, or Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 or later.
- A Windows installation disc, or other installation media for the operating systems you want to use alongside Mac OS X.
COPYRIGHT NOTICECopyright© 1999-2011 by Parallels Holdings, Ltd. and its affiliates. All rights reserved.
This product is protected by United States and international copyright laws. The product’s underlying technology, patents, and trademarks are listed at https://www.parallels.com/trademarks
Microsoft, Windows, Windows Server, Windows NT, Windows Vista, and MS-DOS are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.
Apple, Mac, and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple Inc.
All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.