In some situations:
- after changing some settings in Parallels Desktop/Parallels Workstation -> Preferences, or in System Preferences -> Network, or
- after installing some third-party network related drivers or software in Mac OS you can lose Internet connectivity in virtual machines.
Please follow the checklist below:
1. Navigate to Parallels Desktop/Parallels Workstation -> Preferences -> Network, and on that page click "Restore Defaults" button
2. Stop the Virtual Machine. Open Configuration windows from Virtual Machine menu > Configure.
- Under Hardware section check that Network Adapter is present in list, If it is missing, click "+" and add Network Adapter
3. Click Network Adapter 1 in the Virtual Machine Configuration page
- Verify that Connect is selected
- Make sure that the correct type of Network is selected - Shared or Bridged
NOTE: Host-Only Network does not provide Internet access in virtual machine
4. In Guest OS check that settings for Network Interface are valid.
- In case of a Shared Network, the IP address should be in range 10.211.55.1 -10.211.55.254
- In case of a Bridged Network, you need to either setup IP manually, or setup DHCP server in the network.
Use OS specific command to check IP configuration:
ipconfig /all for Windows OSes
ifconfig -a for UNIX/Linux OSes
NOTE: some WIFI routers and DSL modems also act as DHCP servers, please check the hardware documentation on how to configure DHCP scope
5. If you installed an antiviral software in guest OS (Windows), please contact the software manufacturer support for the correct setting to unblock Internet connection.
NOTE: You can try to uninstall the antivirus temporary to check if the problem is caused by the antivirus software
6. In UNIX OSes you need to check iptables and ipfw settings. Please refer to corresponding help pages.
7. If you are connecting to the Internet using only one of Network Interfaces in Mac OS (for example Built-in Ethernet), and the network mode is set to Bridged Ethernet, make sure that in the Virtual Machine configuration page -> Network Adapter 1, selected Adapter is either Default Adapter or one you are using for Internet connection.