SymptomsCheckdisk starts on every Windows boot and hangs at some moment. The only way to get rid of it is to run check disk utility from the recovery console using the original Windows installation CD/DVD.
- Shut down Windows virtual machine and quit Parallels Desktop
- Restart Parallels Desktop pushing and holding "Apple/Command" button in order to open VM without starting it (if you are using Parallels Desktop 2.x or 3.x)
- For Parallels Desktop versions 2 and 3:
3.2. Select Options pane in the list of resources and switch to Booting tab
For Parallels Desktop version 4:
3.1. Click Virtual Machine -> Configure in the Parallels Desktop top menu bar.
3.2. Select Boot Order pane in the list of options.
For Parallels Desktop version 5:
3.1. Click Virtual Machine -> Configure in the Parallels Desktop top menu bar
3.2. Click Hardware tab -> Boot Order
- Change the "Boot Sequence" to start with "CD-ROM..."
- Click "OK"
- Insert Windows installation disk.
- Start Windows virtual machine.
- Soon you'll see "Press any key to boot from CD..." text. Press any key. The setup from the CD will load.
- After loading files you'll see another screen with several options to choose. Press "R" key to proceed to the recovery console.
- You will be prompted what installation to enter. Select installation and type correspondent number. In most of occasions you will have the only installation available, so will need to type 1. Press Enter.
- You will be asked for administrator's password. Type it or just hit Enter if you do not have one.
- Type "chkdsk /r" (without quotes) in the command prompt (after C:>), and press Enter key again to start disk checking.
- After completion shut down your machine and start it normally
NOTE: it is strictly recommended to always shut down Virtual Machine by "Start" button - "Turn off Computer" option from inside of Windows machine.