To upgrade Parallels Remote Application Server to the version 16, follow the procedure below:
- Version 14 and above do not support 2X OS. If you are using Client Manager to manage 2X OS, you cannot upgrade to version 14 and continue to use 2X OS. Find more information here: Life Cycle Announcement.
- There is no direct upgrade path from Parallels Remote Application Server v10 (or lower) to Parallels Remote Application Server v 16.0. If upgrading from v10 or lower, follow the upgrade procedure here to upgrade to v14. Once on v14, you can upgrade to v16.0.
- The licensing model has changed. More information about the new licensing model can be found here.
Stage 1: Upgrade Preparation
- Read the documentation below to review all changes and added features for the latest version:
- Ensure that your Parallels Remote Application Server license has valid upgrade insurance. Upgrade insurance is not automatically included with a Support contract.
- Take snapshots of environments configured on virtual servers, primarily on the RAS Console/ License server.
- Copy and save the license key activated on the current installation from the RAS Console > Licensing.
- Collect additional information about the current Remote Application Server installation from the RAS Console > Help > About.
- Export the configuration file and save it to another location.
- For Version 10.6 and lower, log on to the RAS Console > File > Export.
- For Version 11.0 and higher this option is located under Administration > Backup.
- If the Parallels Remote Application Server console or License server also runs other Parallels products, such as the RAS Web Portal, back up and collect the information below:
- Back up the following directory and all sub directories : C:Program Files (x86) 2X
- Collect information about the RAS Web Portal: Parallels RAS Admin Portal > General Settings > About
Stage 2: Upgrade Requirements
- Internet access is required on the Parallels RAS Console to install the software and activate the license.
- For all upgrades, it is highly recommended to schedule a time when your users aren’t active on your system.
- Older versions of the Parallels RAS Web Portal are not compatible with newer versions of Parallels Remote Application Server. If the Parallels Web Portal is installed on your server, download the latest version here.
Stage 3: Upgrade Procedure
Proceed to upgrade the Parallels Remote Application Server environment from the RAS Console/License server by going to Parallels RAS Console > Administration > Software Update tab > Check now > Update. Alternatively, download the installer here.
This upgrade will also update the license model for all sites to the new licensing model. Read more here.
If prompted during the upgrade, select to update all Parallels Remote Application Server agents configured to the farm/ site.
NOTE: Shoud you have multi-site Farm, in order to upgrade secondary sites, do the following:
Once Master Site upgraded and you log into the console still on Master site, upgrade the secondary sites:
- From the left pane in the Console, select Farm
- In the list select Farm right click on secondary site > Check Agent > Update.
- Once secondary site updated switch to that site and update backup Publishing Agent and rest components.
- Log on to the RAS Console and ensure that all agents are verified.
- Next, download and install the Parallels RAS Portal software from General settings > Software > Check Now. This is only required if you were using the RAS Web Portal.
Stage 4: Final checks
Upon completion, log on to the console and activate your license from the Parallels RAS Console > Licensing. Also ensure that the “Concurrent UBL” information is the correct user license count you have purchased. If not, please contact Parallels Sales.
If you require support during or after your upgrade, please contact our Support department.
It is highly recommended to schedule the upgrade with the Parallels Support department and your users. Make sure that you have a valid support agreement if you choose to schedule the upgrade.