Note: For successful completion of this guide, one of the steps is to publish resources from a Remote Desktop Server. As a result, a server running Windows 2003 with terminal services or 2008+ using RDS services with available RDS CALs is required.
More information on setting up Remote Desktop Services can be found here:
Configuring the Product
Parallels Remote Application Server can be configured and managed from the Console. After a user successfully logs in, he is presented with the Console which allows configuration and setup.
Below you can see what is available in the console:
- This section contains all configuration categories.
- This information bar displays the site on the left and the user currently logged in on the right.
- Toolbar from where one can launch the publishing wizards.
- Available only in the Farm and Publishing category, the navigation tree allows you to browse through the objects related to that category.
- This section displays the selected object or category properties, such as servers in a farm or published application properties.
- In this section the latest console notification are displayed.
Adding backend servers to your Farm
Once the console is open, the first step is to configure the backend resources within this farm. In a typical deployment, these would be either from a terminal server running the RDS Host role, or from a VDI host.
Adding a terminal server
- Select the Farm category and click on Terminal Servers from the navigation tree.
Select Add from the Tasks drop down menu to launch the setup wizard, and once prompted enter the server FQDN or IP. In this case enter the IP address of the Parallels Remote Application Server server and click Next.
In the next step the Parallels Remote Application Server checks if the Agent is installed on the server. Once confirmed click Add to add the server to the farm.
Publishing of Resources
Once the backend resources have been configured, it is a matter of publishing resources from this new Parallels Remote Application Server.
For demonstration purposes, the following will be published:
- A desktop from the Configured Terminal Server
- A published application: Notepad
Publishing a desktop from a terminal server
Publishing of a desktop can be done as follows. The same steps apply when publishing off a resource from a VDI Host.
- Select the Publishing category and click the Desktop icon from the top navigation bar to launch the desktop publishing wizard.
- Select Terminal Server Desktop in the first step of the wizard and click Next.
In the second step of the wizard specify from which terminal servers the desktop should be published. You can specify to publish the desktop from All Servers in Farm, Server Group/s or from a number of Individual Servers as seen in the screenshot.
- In the third step of the wizard specify name and description in the Desktop section. From the same section you can also configure a different icon by clicking on the Change Icon button. Tick the option Connect to console, so users connecting to the published desktops will connect to the terminal server’s console, rather than a virtual desktop session.
In the Desktop Size section you can also specify the resolution of the desktop.
- Click Finish to publish the desktop.
Publishing an application from a terminal server
One can publish the application as follows:
- Open the Publishing category and click the Application icon from the top navigation bar.
- Select Terminal Server in the first step of the wizard and click Next.
In the second step of the wizard, select the type of application to be published. The options are:
- Single Application: Choose this option to fully configure the application settings yourself such as the executable path etc.
- Installed Application: Choose this option to publish an application that is already installed on the server therefore all of the application settings are automatically configured.
- Predefined Application: Choose this option to publish a commonly used Windows application such as Windows Explorer.
- In the third step of the wizard specify from which terminal servers the application should be published. You can specify to publish the desktop from All Servers in Farm, Server Group/s or from a number of Individual Servers.
If one selects Installed Application or Predefined Application, in the fourth step of the wizard one has to select the application to be published by ticking the application name and Finish.
If one is configuring a Single Application, one needs to fill in the Application path.
Accessing the published applications
Once the above steps have been completed, one can access these published resources remotely via a Parallels Client by doing the following:
- Install Windows Client on a remote machine.
- Setup a new Connection to connect to the machine’s IP address.
- Enter credentials.
- Resources will become available.