- Your Windows 10 virtual machine hangs, freezes, crashes, gets stuck.
- It is just running slowly.
- Unable to install applications.
Windows file system is corrupted or damaged.
You should refresh your Windows 10 PC using the refresh feature available in Windows 10 and make it to work as fast as if it was a fresh Windows 10 install.
NOTE: Please take a snapshot of your virtual machine (in Parallels Desktop menu bar go to Actions > Take snapshot) before you proceed with the instructions below to be able to revert all the changes.
The first option is to try to update necessary system files from the Microsoft server by following these steps:
Make sure that your Windows 10 virtual machine is connected to the Internet.
In Command Prompt type in:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (hit Return/Enter)
if you have Windows installation media (CD/DVD disk or a .iso disk image), please type in:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
where D: is Windows installation image mounted to the virtual drive.
Wait till operation is completed. Usually it takes 20-30 minutes.
- Restart the virtual machine.
In case the instructions above do not fix the issue,
You should refresh your Windows 10 machine using the Refresh feature available in Windows 10 and make it work fast like if it is a fresh Windows 10 install.
NOTE: Refresh will not affect your personal data, such as documents, music, photos, etc. But you will have to reinstall all applications from scratch.
Go to the Recovery section inside PC settings. You can search for refresh in the search tool available in the Start menu, then click on "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" in the search results as shown below.
Click on the Get started button just below the heading "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" to start refreshing your Windows 10 OS.
In the next step, Windows will show you a popup with what will happen when you refresh your OS.
Things which will be removed after refreshing from your Windows 10
- All the applications or softwares which you installed from CDs/DVDs or from the Internet such as third party PDF reader softwares or image editing programs will be removed.
- Your PC settings will be changed back to their defaults.
Things which will NOT be removed and will be kept after refreshing your Windows 10
- Your personal files such as music, videos, photos, documents, etc. and personalization settings will not be changed or removed.
- Apps which come with Windows 10 and the apps installed from the Windows store will not be removed.
In addition to the above things, a list of removed apps will be saved on your desktop.
Now, make sure your Mac is plugged to the power supply and is not running on battery. Click Refresh and wait for a few minutes while your Windows 10 machine is being refreshed.
Refreshing a Windows 10 might take around 15 minutes or more depending on the speed of the computer.
- After your Windows 10 is refreshed, it should be as fast and reliable as a brand new virtual machine.
I am unable to refresh because my Windows 10 fails at boot with BSOD. How to fix it?
Here’s what to do if you encounter the BSOD (blue screen of death error):
- Click to start your Windows machine.
- Press F8 immediately after starting Windows (and for best results, continue pressing F8 until you see the Troubleshoot option).
Click Refresh your PC, and Windows will try to fix your startup issue.