I use virtual network adapter in the bridged mode.
An IP address of virtual machine is changing to 169.254.x.x after some time for no reason.
In the event log there is the following note: Windows has detected duplicate address for 0.0.0.0.
- Incorrect detection of duplicate IP address on Windows side
- Cisco devices in network environment
Please make a snapshot of the virtual machine before performing the instructions: Virtual machine > Take a snapshot.
Open the Registry editor.
- in Windows XP to Windows Server 2003 - Click Start > Run, type regedit, and click OK.
- in Windows Vista\7\8\8.1 - Click Start, type regedit, and click OK.
Locate this registry key:
- Click Edit > New, and choose DWORD Value.
- Type ArpRetryCount.
- Right-click on ArpRetryCount registry entry and choose Modify.
- In the Value box, type 0 and click OK.
- Exit the Registry Editor.
- Restart Windows virtual machine
For the additional information please refer to this Microsoft article.
Do not forget to remove the snapshot: Virtual machine > Manage snapshots.
Alternatively, you can disable gratuitous ARP on the physical switch.
For example, to disable gratuitous ARP in Cisco IOS, run this command:
# no ip gratuitous-arps