After I updated with Revision 932290, the Best for Retina selection is no longer available, replaced with a Retina On/Off check box. With Retina turned on, the Windows 8.1 menus and fonts are super small and not correctly scaled. With the box unchecked, I cannot recreate the resolution quality and scaling I enjoyed prior to the update.
The changes were made in the latest update of Parallels Desktop 9 to comply with High-resolution and Scaling features of Windows 8.1
To know more about Windows 8.1 DPI Scaling Enhancements please read this article
There are three ways to workaround this issue:
- Start Windows 8.1 Virtual machine and switch to Desktop
Right-click on Windows Desktop and choose Screen resolution
Click on Make text and other items larger or smaller link
- Drag the slider to adjust the size of Windows items.
While in Display window (see step 3 of Option #1 above) click on Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays link
Adjust the size of Windows items
Option # 3
- Shut down your virtual machine
- Go to your virtual machine's Configuration pane > General
Change the type of your virtual machine to Windows 8
- Switch to Hardware tab > Video and adjust Retina settings