SymptomsError message "Could not apply the stored configuration for monitors" or "The selected configuration for displays could not be applied" appears in Linux virtual machine after Parallels Tools installation or Linux OS update.
In order to solve this issue please perform the following steps:
If Linux OS have been updated:
- Reinstall Parallels Tools;
- Remove ~/.config/monitors.xml file;
- Log out and log in back to the Linux Virtual Machine.
If you need Linux Virtual Machine to start with the custom display resolution (different from the default 1024x768 px):
- Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf;
- Find string with startup resolution modes, it looks like:
# Parallels Screen section
Identifier "Parallels Screen"
Device "Parallels Video"
Monitor "Parallels Monitor"
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
- Add your custom resolution into this string, e.g.:
Modes "1440x900" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
- Restart the virtual machine.
NOTE: Please refer to the list of supported custom resolution modes:
640x400; 640x480; 720x480; 800x500; 800x600; 1024x640; 1024x768; 1152x720; 1280x800; 1280x960; 1280x1024; 1440x900; 1400x1050; 1600x1200; 1680x1050; 1920x1200; 2048x1536; 2560x1600