SymptomsWindows virtual machine fails to boot with a CMG Shield error wich states:
Error 0xc0000001 occurred loading CMG Shield SDE keys.
Recebt internal messages - WRITE THIS DOWN!
CredCEF LCKDF: "\Device\HarddiskVolume1" error c0000001 loading backup
CMG SDE Key Recovery will be required at this point.
CauseThis occurs due to Credant disk encryption software. This disk encryption software is designed to protects data on your Windows-based systems, reducing risk and simplifying compliance reporting. When Parallels Desktop is updated, it breaks the encryption and Credant does not allow the virtual machine to boot.
To resolve this issue, please follow one of the steps below:
- Downgrade Parallels Desktop, remove the encryption from the virtual machine using the Credant software, and then upgrade Parallels Desktop again.
- Use a Credant recovery file.
CMGKRcvr.txt. You may need to request this file from your IT department if you are using a corporate virtual machine.
To use the recovery file:
- Create new Windows virtual machine, attach the virtual disk from your first virtual machine as a second hard disk. Open Virtual Machine menu > Configure > Hardware > '+' sign > Add existing Hard Drive image.
- Once the drive is added, start the virtual machine and open My Computer.
CMGKRcvr.txtfile to the root directory of the the second hard disk.
- Shut down the virtual machine.
When you start your primary virtual machine, the recovery file is read and deleted.
After the recovery file is read, you would be able to run your first virtual machine.