SYMPTOMSBoot Camp based virtual machine shows the following error message at startup:
Not enough free disk space on your Mac
This issue may arise due to one or more of the following reasons:
- There may not be enough free disk space either on Mac or in the Boot Camp virtual machine.
- You might be having issues due to an outdated installation of Parallels Desktop.
- Parallels Desktop installation may have become corrupted.
RESOLUTIONSTEP 1 – Сheck free disk space on Mac and Windows
- Navigate Apple Menu > About this Mac and check the Storage tab. Check if Mac OS start up volume is running out of free space. If yes then please delete some unwanted files and empty trash to free up some space on Mac.
- If there is enough free space on Mac and this error is still popping up then please Restart your Mac and boot to BootCamp directly. Go to My Computer right click on Windows volumes and choose Properties to check if they are running out of free space.
- If there is enough free space on Windows then proceed to Step 2.
STEP 2 – Updating Parallels Desktop
- If you are using Parallels Desktop for MAC 7 then download and install Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac latest build
- If you are using Parallels Desktop for MAC 6 then download and install Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac latest build.
- Start your virtual machine and check if the issue persists. If it does, then proceed to Step 3.
STEP 3 – Reinstalling Parallels Desktop
For Parallels Desktop 7:
- Uninstall Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac completely by following the steps mentioned in this knowledgebase article: http://kb.parallels.com/112189
- Reinstall Parallels Desktop for Mac 7 using the .dmg file that you initially used to install it.
For Parallels Desktop 6: