What is Coherence?
Coherence is view mode that allows you to run Windows applications on your Mac, just like they were native Mac applications.
Note: Parallels Desktop Virtual machines start in Coherence View mode at the first start. If you want to change View mode check this article: KB 115291
In Coherence mode, you can use both your Windows and Mac applications at the same time, without managing two separate desktops or rebooting. You can even load Windows applications directly form your Mac Dock or Mac desktop. In this mode, all Parallels Desktop controls, icons, and menus are hidden, except for the Parallels icon in the Mac menu bar and Windows Applications folder in the Dock.
Windows Task bar, Start button and Desktop is hidden.
Working with Virtual Machine in Coherence
To launch a new Windows application you may want to use one of several ways:
- Click on the Windows Applications Folder in the Dock and choose the application you need
- Right-click on Parallels tray icon in Mac status bar to activate Windows Start menu:
- Click on Windows icon in the Dock to activate Windows Start menu:
To switch among already started Windows applications click on their icons in the Mac Dock
All Windows applications icons are marked with Parallels sign to distinguish them from Mac applications
Additional options for Windows applications are available by right-clicking on their Dock icons:
- Quit, Hide, Show all Windows, Keep in Dock and Add to Launchpad are just the same as for native Mac applications
- Show Jump list activates Jump List available for Windows applications icons in Windows Task Bar
If you have several windows of the same Windows application you may switch among them in a Mac way:
- choose from the list:
- activate Show all windows option
To access Virtual machine Configuration:
- either right-click on Start menu icon in the Dock
- or click on Parallels tray icon in the Mac status bar and press Alt
Turning Coherence mode On and Off
To exit Coherence click on Parallels tray icon in the Mac status bar and choose Exit Coherence
To enter Coherence mode from window mode
- click on View menu -> Enter Coherence
- click on the Coherence icon in the top right corner of the virtual machine window
The settings for Coherence mode are available in Virtual Machine Configuration -> Options -> Coherence
Note: To be able to use Coherence mode Parallels Tools should be installed in Windows. Select Virtual Machine > Install Parallels Tools from top Parallels Desktop menubar.