ResolutionThe following tables illustrate OS compatibility during Containers migration:
Windows 2003 Family
|Source||W2K3 SP1||W2K3 SP2||W2K3 R2 SP1||W2K3 R2 SP2|
|W2K3 R2 SP1||NO||NO||YES||YES|
|W2K3 R2 SP2||NO||NO||NO||YES|
Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2 Family
|Source||W2K8 SP1||W2K8 SP2||W2K8 R2||W2K8 R2 SP1|
|W2K8 R2 SP1||NO||NO||NO||YES*|
* Not all Windows 2008R2 SP1 editions and locales are supported by Parallels Virtuozzo Containers for Windows. For more information refer to this article:
113610 Windows 2008R2 SP1 locales and editions supported by Parallels Virtuozzo Containers for Windows
In addition to the tables above, keep in mind the following migration requirements:
- Architectures must be the same. Migration from x86 to x64 and vice versa is not supported.
- No migration is possible between Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008.
- Host OS localization versions must be the same.
- Hosts must be the same product type, i.e., migration between Enterprise and Datacenter editions is not supported (The only exception is migration between Windows 2003 Standard and Enterprise editions, which is supported).
- For Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2, the source host and destination host must either both have Hyper-V enabled or neither have it enabled. If one of the hosts has Hyper-V enabled and the other does not, the migration will result in error.
NOTE: Migration via PMC is called with force flag, thus compatibility check for source and destination nodes is omitted.
NOTE: UPGRADE FROM WINDOWS 2008 TO WINDOWS 2008 R2 IS NOT SUPPORTED:
It is not possible to upgrade Windows 2008 to Windows 2008 SP1 or SP2.
It is not possible to upgrade Windows 2008 to Windows 2008 R2.
It is not possible to upgrade Windows 2008 R2 to Windows 2008 R2 SP1.