The upgrade process from earlier versions of Parallels Desktop to Parallels Desktop 7 has been developed to be as smooth as possible.
Before upgrading to Parallels Desktop 7 we recommend to follow the instructions:
- Launch your current version of Parallels Desktop and start Windows.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Add or Remove Programs (or if you're running Windows 7, choose Start → Programs → Programs and Features) and remove Parallels Tools and all virus protection software (e.g. Kaspersky Internet security, McAfee, Norton). You can reinstall your virus protection software immediately after the upgrade is completed.
- Shut down Windows (do not suspend it), then quit Parallels Desktop.
- Repeat steps 1-3 for any other virtual machines you have.
- Start the Parallels Desktop 7 installer and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the upgrade. The Parallels Desktop 7 installer is available on this page.
- Launch Windows. If necessary, wait as a virtual machine is being converted to the new format.
If you had a third-party antivirus program installed, we suggest you use Kaspersky Internet Security instead. Bundled with Parallels Desktop, Kaspersky Internet Security is specifically tailored to work a in virtual environment.
You can install Kaspersky Internet Security by doing the following:
- Open a virtual machine in Parallels Desktop.
- Switch to Window mode (if not yet in Window mode).
- Select Virtual Machine → Install Kaspersky Internet Security.
NOTE: If you are upgrading from Parallels Desktop 2, 3 or 4, you will need a full license for Parallels Desktop 7.
If you currently have Parallels Desktop 2 or 3 for Mac installed, please see this article before installing version 7, 8 or 9.