The upgrade process from earlier versions of Parallels Desktop to Parallels Desktop 7 has been developed to be as smooth as possible.
Before upgrading to Parallels Desktop 7 we recommend complete the following instructions:
- Launch your current version of Parallels Desktop and start Windows.
Choose Start → Control Panel → Add or Remove Programs (or if you're running Windows 7, choose Start → Programs → Programs and Features) and remove the following items:
- o Parallels Tools.
- o All virus protection software (e.g. KIS, McAfee, Norton). (You can reinstall your virus protection software immediately after the upgrade is completed.)
- 3. Shut down Windows (do not suspend it), then quit Parallels Desktop.
- 4. Repeat steps 1-3 for any other virtual machines you have.
- 5. Start the Parallels Desktop 7 installer and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the upgrade
- 6. Launch Windows. If necessary, wait as its virtual machine converts to the new format.
If you already had a third-party antivirus program installed, we suggest you use Kaspersky Internet Security instead. Bundled with Parallels Desktop, Kaspersky Internet Security is tailored to specifically in virtual environments.
You can install Kaspersky Internet Security by doing the following:
- Open a virtual machine in Parallels Desktop
- Switch to Window mode (if not already in Window mode)
- Select Virtual Machine → Install Kaspersky Internet Security
NOTE: If you are upgrading from Parallels Desktop 2, 3 or 4, you will need to purchase a FULL copy of Parallels Desktop 7.
If you currently have Parallels Desktop 3 or 2 for Mac installed, please see this article before installing version 7.